Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Cherry Tomato Caper

Of all the things I'm known for, my green thumb is not one of them - just not my strong suit. But, this year though I have not pulled a weed or done anything with out flower beds, I planted tomatoes and peppers - and by some miracle they are thriving!!

I am so thrilled about these botanical beauties that every few days I eagerly go out to my cherry tomatoes gently collect them to give them to friends and family. Going out to see which tomatoes will soon be ready is a highlight of my day.

Friday, before leaving to Lake Geneva I took a look at my tomatoes and they looked great. I knew there would be lots (30+) for me to bring to my moms on Sunday when we got back. She was going to love them and it would be a nice thank you gift for watching the girls all weekend long.

Sunday arrived and when we got home I got a big bowl to go a picking!!! And - every single red tomato was gone. Somebody came into our garden and stole all of my ripe tomatoes while we were gone. Can you even imagine taking on the bad karma of picking someone else's tomatoes from a private garden?? I can't imagine what happened, but I am not happy.

2 comments:

Susan W said...

Oh my goodness! Any sign of an animal having eaten them? (doubtful if there are no bitten off stems or half eaten tomatoes on the ground...) but still! Who would steal tomatoes? That's crazy.

I'm glad you've been enjoying the harvesting! It's SO rewarding. I have loved going out and cutting my lettuce, arugula and spinach this year. Can't wait to be somewhere where tomatoes grow a little better too :)

Kayte Gazdic said...

Gosh what a jerk! haha I'll never forget when I was four and the neighbor boy conned me into helping him destroy a tomato garden. I still feel bad about it! But I promise it wasn't me! ; )