Friday, November 21, 2008

Smash and Grab Bummer

On Wednesday I got a call at work from my company's security office. They asked me if I had a red Acura and I told them yes. They told me I had better come down to the security office. At first I thought I was in trouble. Did I part in a handicapped space or was I blocking a driveway? When I got there everyone seemed rather uncomfortable and as it turns out it was because they had bad news for me.

Someone had scoped out the company's parking lot and decided my car was worth breaking into. They smashed my drivers side window and stole my GPS I had on top of the dashboard. In retrospect I guess I could/should have put the GPS in the glove box or something but I've clearly never had a problem before this.

So the security officers called the CPD who sent out a cop to take a statement and fill out a form (like that will ever do any good). The folks at WMS were really nice and helped put a piece of plastic up on my door so I wouldn't have to drive home in 29 degree weather with no window. It looked SO trashy though. But Nancy and I took the car into the shop and by the next day we had the window fixed. I don't think we'll be getting another GPS anytime soon, but word to the wise, we'll be taking the GPS in the other car off the dashboard when we leave the car for a good long while.

It's a bummer but what are you going to do? The whole thing reminds me of what I heard someone say once, "A liberal is just a conservative whose house hasn't been broken into yet." Well I'm not that cynical yet.

2 comments:

Carris Family said...

Such a bummer! I love the convenience of my GPS, but maybe I need to find a better place to store it when its not in use! Molly

Susan W said...

Man, and we leave our houses and cars unlocked! (well we did until we listed the house) I'm so sorry you two, I hope the insurance covered at least some of the loss!