Thursday, July 10, 2008

The importance of sharing...

We teach our children to share. We remind friends, family members and even ourselves that sharing is the right thing to do - the golden rule should always apply, right?

Dave and I have enjoyed a new little event with the kids of taking them out for ice cream. We might go on a bike ride or just end a nice summer evening with a little dessert. Normally we get the kids a really small dish of ice cream and Dave and I either share with them or get our own thing - and usually end up sharing that with the kids. Somehow I always end up "sharing" with Evelyn.

The problem is that Evelyn might be good at sharing a toy or carrots, but she does not share ice cream. She eats the entire bowl and does not let you get your spoon in the bowl. If, by chance, you do get a bite she squawks and makes a fuss. Now, you might just say to have Dave share with Ev and have me share with Erin. Well, that would not work. Erin would be more than happy to share with me (or anyone), but Ev will only "share" her dessert with me - perhaps I should say she will only steal my dessert. She has no interest in sharing with Dave. Possibly this is because I am a better orderer or perhaps she is trying to drive me crazy -- or maybe this is a hint to go on a diet...

1 comment:

Susan W said...

Oh my - you are at Oberweis, aren't you?! Sigh...I miss Oberweis.

Ev looks pretty darn happy with her ice cream drink, that's for certain!

Sharing is definitely a long learning curve - good for you for continuing to try!